About this Locality
Vittoriosa, also named “Birgu” in Maltese is one of the oldest cities found in Malta. It played a very prominent role in the Great Siege in 1565 by protecting many people during tough times. Vittoriosa played a vital role throughout the Great Siege mainly because the Grand Harbour was a very safe place to anchor any type of ship and has slowly developed a history with maritime and military activities.
Vittoriosa may be found on the south side of the Grand Harbour. Vittoriosa is considered one of the “3 cities” with Bormla and Isla. Vittoriosa was officially fortified in 1551 and included the development of the castle of St Angelo which is a large fort separated from Vittoriosa by a narrow channel. The castle is connected to the city by a drawbridge.
Vittoriosa manages to attract many tourist due to its large amount of tourist attractions such as one of Malta’s most prestigious casinos, Malta’s maritime museum and another museum that is dedicated to the great siege of 1565.
Distance from Airport: 6.9 KM – 15 Minute drive.